If you have mold in your living or work space, then it may be contributing to your allergies or possibly even other health issues. Here are just a few of the symptoms that may signify that you are experiencing mold allergies.
• Long Lasting Cold Symptoms
• Shortness of Breath
• Itchy and Watery Eyes
• Persistent Coughing
• Loss Of Hair
Different Species , Different Symptoms
Not all molds are created equally. There are about numerous mold species that are especially harmful to humans. These molds create substances called Mycotoxins. As you may guess from the name, these are some very poisonous substances. The end results of mycotoxin poisoning can be very serious if exposed for extended periods of time; internal bleeding, neurological damage and some even say possible death in extreme cases.
Stachybotrys is the most serious type of mold to find in a building. Effects of black mold exposure can be very devastating to the health of those living in a home. Getting rid of this type of mold is hard and often requires vacating a home for an extended period. Although rare, some people even demolish older homes if the mold growth is too extensive to be financially worth it to save the structure.
How Mold Effects Your Body
Mold spores that are inhaled can begin to grow throughout the body. Your lungs, skin, or digestive system may be affected. Quick treatment is essential to preventing the spread. The elderly and those with illnesses that cause them to have a weakened immune system are the most likely to be affected by these types of mold infections. There are also non-toxic but allergenic species of mold that can cause these symptoms as well.
Those that suffer from other allergies should be especially concerned about the presence of mold. The symptoms of a mold allergy can closely mimic those of other allergies so it can be easy just to assume you are suffering from one allergen or the same ones. All those suffering from allergies should have their home evaluated for mold spores.
Allergy Tests and Diet
If you are not sure if you are sensitive to molds you can ask your doctor to perform an allergy test. If you are found to be sensitive to molds, if you are allergic and experiencing complications it is suggested that you have mold testing performed on your home to rule out and problem that needs to be addressed.
While you might have been taught that a bit of a mold on bread or cheese can just be scraped away, it is best to avoid any food that is past its prime if you are sensitive to molds.
Seeking Further Treatments
Allergy sufferers have many different treatment options. Avoiding mold and getting your home tested and treated is a good start. If you have persistent allergies, your doctor or allergist may prescribe medication or shots to control symptoms. Shots are only an option if your specific allergen can be identified. An allergy medication that can just be purchased at a drug or grocery store can provide enough relief for some.